What is home insurance? Is it compulsory?

Each accommodation must be insured against the risks of fire, explosion, theft and water damage that covers property and equipment. Tenants must also take out a civil liability insurance policy and, if wished, insure their personal belongings. This civil liability insurance is compulsory.